Shaping Future Transportation. CleanDrive Technologies. A Daimler Initiative.
Freightliner Trucks’ commitment to green technologies is part of Daimler’s AG’s global Shaping Future Transportation initiative. Launched in 2007, the initiative focuses on reducing criteria pollutants, carbon dioxide and fuel consumption.
The Freightliner Cascadia® day cab will be available with the cleanest engine technology in the market today: natural gas. Designed for regional-haul and LTL applications, this truck offers unparalleled benefits that help businesses increase productivity, performance and profitability. The Cummins® Westport ISX12 G engine is factory-installed and warranty-covered.
The Cascadia 113 tour truck is pulling a 53' trailer, courtesy of Ryder, loaded with approximately 30,000 lbs of cardboard that will be delivered for recycling in Washington, DC.
Tour Truck Specs
- 113" BBC
- Engine: Cummins Westport ISX12 G, 400 hp, 1450 lb-ft torque
- Transmission: Allison 4000HS
- Front Axle/Suspension: 12,000 lb. Front Axle/12,000 lb. Taperleaf Suspension
- Rear Axle/Suspension: 40,000 lb. R-series Aluminum Carrier
- Tandem/40,000 lb. Airliner
- 192" Wheelbase
- 155 Diesel Gallon Equivalent (DGE) CNG Fuel Tanks 40 DGE LH CNG tank;
- 40 DGE RH CNG tank; 75 DGE back-of-cab CNG tank
Why Natural Gas?
Improving operating economics vs. diesel: With the rising cost of diesel, driving vehicles that operate on comparatively inexpensive natural gas can drastically reduce operating costs. Over the past five years, natural gas fuel prices have remained well below that of diesel fuel and have been more consistent, avoiding fluctuations in prices caused by speculation and the current geopolitical climate.
Cleanest Burning Engine Technology:
Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions are reduced by up to 20% versus comparable diesel engines.
Reduced Aftertreatment Complexities:
Cummins Westport's natural-gas engine products—the ISL G and the all-new ISX12G—feature spark-ignited, cooled EGR combustion technology with a maintenance-free aftertreatment system and a three-way, passive catalyst. No worries about particulate filters, regenerations or SCR equipment.
The deployment of natural gas vehicles is not only cleaning the air through reduced GHG levels, but it’s also amping up productivity through the reduction of truck noise, which helps keep local neighborhoods and delivery locations quieter and drivers more comfortable. On average, natural gas engines run 10 decibels quieter than a comparable diesel engine.
Domestic Fuel Source:
In terms of future resource security, North America has an abundance of natural gas reserves, which helps reduce dependence on foreign oil.
Calculate Your Natural Gas Savings
The Freightliner Cascadia 113 Day Cab tractor runs on the cleanest technology available: natural gas. Natural gas vehicles help fleets go green and add green to the bottom line. While the cost of diesel continues to rise, the cost of natural gas remains steady and significantly cheaper. Use our calculator to find out how much money you can save by choosing Freightliner's natural-gas lineup.
Clean, Powerful, Efficient
Freightliner Trucks’ Business Class M2 112, 114SD and Cascadia day cabs can be specified to utilize natural gas, one of the most abundant, efficient and clean-burning fuels on earth. Available with liquefied natural gas (LNG) or compressed natural gas (CNG) fuel tanks, our natural gas trucks and tractors are designed for high performance in a broad range of applications.
Switching to natural gas can lead to significant fuel cost savings.
Natural Gas: Technology You Can Bank On
As the cost of diesel continues to rise, lower-cost natural gas fuel prices remain relatively stable—and considerably less expensive—making it an economical choice. As part of Daimler AG’s Shaping Future Transportation initiative, which strives to dramatically reduce fuel consumption and exhaust emissions in commercial vehicles of all classes, Freightliner Trucks offers one of the only conventional natural gas truck solutions in the industry. These versatile, hardworking trucks are ideal for regional haul, plus municipal and vocational applications, including utility, construction, refuse, food & beverage, and pickup & delivery.
114SD Natural Gas Truck:
Freightliner’s versatile, severe-duty truck, the 114SD NG, combines the performance features of the diesel-powered 114SD with the benefits of a Cummins Westport ISL G 8.9 natural-gas engine. Anticipate significant fuel cost savings, smart design and sturdy construction in a natural gas truck with set-back axles.
- Agility Fuel Systems: Agility Fuel Systems is the leading designer and producer of alternative fuel storage and delivery systems for heavy duty trucks, buses and specialty vehicles.
- Allison Transmission: The Allison Brand Promise is the automatic experience with an unrivaled combination of Quality, Reliability, Durability, Vocational Value and Customer Service.
- Coalition for Clean Air: The CCA works to restore California’s air quality through advocacy, education and outreach.
- Cummins Westport: Cummins Westport (CWI) integrates robust diesel components into heavy-duty engines specifically designed for alternative fuels to offer performance, fuel economy, and quiet & clean operation.
- Gladstein, Neandross & Associates: Specializing in air quality, emission reduction, and market development of alternative fuels and alternative fuel vehicles.
- Ryder: Whether you need to rent a truck or trucks, looking to purchase a used truck or lease a fleet, Ryder has the right vehicle to fit your needs.
- Trillium USA: Our services include designing, installing and operating a fuel system that is guaranteed to meet our customers’ needs.